Attention! Google has updated the HTML and CSS of YouTube several times since this post was written, so please check out the latest update below (currently 17 NOV 2013).
So, the default size of the video player on YouTube is quite small. I know, right?
Expanded view is much better. Tell me about it!
But why doesn’t the damn website remember you switching to expanded view yesterday? Because it just doesn’t offer the functionality.
I am about to change that and rock your world.
After I got bored with the default font families and font sizes of the Default, Text Body and Heading styles, I tried changing them permanently. But just pressing F11, modifying certain styles and Applying isn’t enough for Libre Office to remember your specific choices.
Contemplation of the problem
Sometimes it’s a pain to add 32-bit drivers to the Additional Drivers section when you install a printer on a 64-bit Windows machine and share it in your network, because of compatibility with the 64-bit drivers which needs both bit-versions of the drivers to go with the same name.
When you, for example, install 64-bit drivers through Windows Update, the drivers offered on the manufacturer’s website will not necessarily call your printer by exactly the same name. That’s a no-no for Windows, and your favorite OS will stubbornly refuse to accept those drivers.
I’m using Windows 7 for two weeks now, and I immediately noticed that sometimes whenever a sound is played, it is preceeded by a loud popping noise.
After some research, I found the cause to be the sound chip power management on OS-level. It is all explained here.
If you use Opera to browse the internet, you someday might visit a website using the recognisable Facebook Social Plug-in — as viewed in the screenshot below.
Facebook Social Plug-in integration as seen on www.engadget.com
The problem in Opera is that when you visit a website that implements the Facebook Social Plug-in, Opera goes berserk and goes off and on loading for an eternity after the website itself finished loading, which is shown in the lovely screenshot below. The result is high and constant processor usage and a bogged down system.
After a lot of research and trial & error, I finally got Multicore Rendering working in Team Fortress 2 without mood killers like enormous mouse lag or unplayable framerates. You can read all about that here, but in this post I will merely give you some steps to hopefully reproduce my succesful result.
Simply try and enable Multicore Rendering in the advanced video options of your favourite source game. If the game is still fluent and without significant mouse lag, then you are set. But if it isn’t, they you aren’t. More drastic measures are in order.
A familiar experience
You know when you play Team Fortress 2 on a 32-player server, and when all of those players are in the same place at the same time, generating a lot of flying projectiles and explosions, the framerate would free fall below the comfort-zone of 30 frames per second – or whatever your personal preference is in an online first person shooter.
Whenever you go look on the internet for a possible solution to this problem, you find that it helps if you enable Multicore Rendering, which is a setting in the Advanced screen of the Video Options. There is a big chance though that when you enable this setting, your ingame experience might worsen, which is the exact opposite of what you were trying to achieve by enabling this option in the first place. “Great.” you might think cynically, and turn it back off again and cope with the slowdowns in crowded areas for the rest of your otherwise fun day, which seems is all you can do.
While the default fonts in Ubuntu may look nice, they differ from the default fonts in Windows in an obvious way: their big size. This applies to other aspects of the GUI in Ubuntu as well, but I will discuss that in another post. Since having Microsoft fonts in your Ubuntu installation is an advantage anyway, I thought I might as well use them as my system fonts.
There is a problem, however, and that is the hassle to get the looks of those fonts right. After you figured it all out, which can take a while if you are on your own, it is actually quite simple. But like every “fix” for Ubuntu, it takes a lot of time learning what is causing your problems and finding a solution for it.